A great way to “use up” apples. I do even if they’re starting to wrinkle and wink at me. I use up any variety of apple on hand, but of course cooking apples have that nice edge, don’t they? In recent years temperatures of slow cookers have increased. I start mine out on LOW; after a while if it’s cooking too fast, I switch it to warm and it continues to cook at a reduced temp. But gauge cooking time by your particular crock pot. Omit the cinnamon and serve with pork.
- 8 large cooking apples (or other variety) peeled, cored and diced or cut in chunks
- Â½ cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar (or more to taste, depending on tartness of apple)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or until apples are soft, stirring after the first hour, and occasionally through remaining cook time. Total cooking time can vary widely due to cookers.
- Makes about 4 cups, or 8 servings 1/2 cup size.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 222g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 3||2%|
|Total Fat 0.35g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0.06g||0%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 34.23g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.0g||17%|