Add stock and beef to mushroom mixture. and bring to a simmer. Add cornstarch slurry when boiling to thicken the sauce
Add sour cream and dill to Stroganoff. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Adjust thickness to your liking
This Stroganoff dish is adapted from one my Mom made for the family on special occasions. She got hers from a Spice Islands Cook Book published in 1961. I have modified it significantly. The original used Sirloin steak. I used Beef Tenderloin only because I had some frozen that needed to be used. Any cut of beef will work but cooking time will vary based on the cut used. We seldom eat beef today but this turned out to be a tasty Sunday night dinner. The key to my version is the use of reduced home made Veal Brown Stock which puts store bought stock to shame. A link for making the stock is provided if you are so inclined. I served the dish with butter parsley egg noodles and a salad.
For a wine I opted for a good red blend much like a Meritage blend. Fenestra's 2006 Livermore Valley Conjugation is a blend of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 29% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc and 4% Malbec. I decanted the bottle for about 30 minutes before pouring into glasses. It went well with the meal.
- 2 lb beef tenderloin, trimmed and cut into thin strips. Freezing for about 15 minutes makes slicing easier.
- 12 oz mushrooms, sliced thick
- 5 oz red onion, diced
- 4 cups Veal Brown Stock, reduced by half to two cups. A link is provided
- 2 tsp dill weed or to taste. I used dried but fresh would be better if you have it
- 1 cup sour cream or to taste
- 2 Tbs Ghee
- 2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Brandy (optional)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch slurry
- salt/garlic pepper to taste
- Egg Noodles:
- 16 oz egg noodles. I used extra wide as they held the sauce better
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1/2 cup parsley, minced
- Brown the beef in 1 Tbs Ghee and 1 Tbs Olive Oil over high heat. Season with salt/garlic pepper. Meat should brown nicely in about 5-6 minutes. Drain and remove meat from skillet.
- Saute mushrooms and onion in 1 Tbs Ghee and 1 Tbs Olive Oil over hight heat until browned nicely; about 6-8 minutes. Add brandy and deglaze the pan.
- Add the reduced veal stock and beef to the pan with the mushroom mixture. Bring to a simmer then add cornstarch slurry to thicken when mixture is boiling. Do not overcook as the tenderloin does not need much addtional cooking time. A couple of minutes simmering is all that is needed.
- Meanwhile cook noodles per package instructions. Drain when done the add parsley and butter.
- Add sour cream and dill to the stroganoff mixture. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. If sauce is not the right thickness for you adjust as necessary.
- Dish is ready for service.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 482g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 388||40%|
|Total Fat 43.68g||55%|
|Saturated Fat 18.33g||73%|
|Trans Fat 0.05g|
|Total Carbs 61.94g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.9g||13%|