In a second bowl, bring all the wet ingredients together. OK, so the brown sugar is only damp, but adding it now breaks it down - in the dry ingredints, you'll risk lumps.
Wet and dry ingredients are ready, shredded carrots and nuts stand by - let's make the Ultimate Carrot Cake!
Pour the batter into the well greased (butter or Butter Crisco and dusted with flour, if you have 'sticking' issues) 9x13 pan. We also make this cake in springform pans.
O-o-o-o! The timer says the cake is baked, and here it is, ready to rack before frosting. The edges of the cake have nicely separated from the pan
This is the bottom of the cake. A second 9x13 rack is used to flip it right-side-up, or you can frost this side, like I do!
Have fun with decoration - you don't need to pipe icing carrots, imply carrots and be generous with the chopped walnuts - the cake will STILL be delicious!
Square, rectaangular or round - THIS recipe produces a carrot that guys who don't like carrot cake will love. This one has an orange/lemon frosting
What a way to eat your vegetables! I work hard, try to eat a well-balanced diet, get plenty of exercise and watch my weight. I also absolutely love a great carrot cake, so what are ya gonna do...?.
This looks like alot of stuff, but it is just some dry and some wet ingredients. Do not be deterred! Press on!
This recipe has everything going for it, vegetable, fruits, nuts, grain, spices. This recipe is loaded with all the stuff I personally love in a baked dessert - and should drive diners to distraction because it releases an aroma that matches it's unmatchable flavors. I must add a disclaimer here that I have no vested interest in the carrot industry, because it sure sounds like I'm hyping carrots. This is simply a delicious dish. Remember that the applesauce, the pineapple and the carrots bring sugars to the party, so you may certainly cut back a bit on the brown sugar - as much as a 1/2 cup.
It could be a perfect food. It could also be dessert. Tonight. Get it together and get busy.
Time to craft the Ultimate Carrot Cake.
- THE CAKE:
- 3 c grated carrots - box grater, on the large, round hole side (about 12 med. carrots)
- 4 eggs
- 2 c dark brown sugar, packed (like it less sweet? Use 1- 1/2 c)
- 1 c pineapple, crushed, well drained
- 3/4 c canola oil
- 1/2 c applesauce
- 3/4 c chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 tbs pure vanilla extract
- 2 c all-purpose flour (message me for a perfect gluten-free flour blend)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 Tbs ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- THE FROSTING:
- 8oz cream cheese
- 3-1/2 c confectioners sugar
- 1/2 c sweet butter, softened
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c chopped pecans or walnuts
- NOTE: Since I am usually knee-deep in our excellent pure Michigan maple syrup, I am adding 1/4 c. to my frosting this time, and omitting the vanilla
- THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350^.
- Butter or Crisco and flour the inside of a 9x13 cake pan
- In a large bowl combine and whisk together the eggs, oil, carrots, applesauce, brown sugar, vanilla extract, pineapple and chopped nuts (the wet stuff)
- Combine and whisk together the flour, baking soda and baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon (the dry stuff)
- Gently incorporate the dry into the wet ingredients - not too much mixing, just combine and distribute the ingredients evenly
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes and test for done with a clean toothpick
- Let the cake rest in the pan for 10-15 minutes, then turn it out and let it cool completely on a rack
- THE FROSTING:
- Combine the butter, cream cheese, confectioners sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl (if you'd like, add several drops of red and yellow food coloring to creat a delightful orange frosting)
- Beat until smooth and creamy
- Fold in the nuts (or save them to sprinkle on top of the cake)
- Frost the cake
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 168g|
|Recipe makes 16 servings|
|Calories from Fat 223||38%|
|Total Fat 25.46g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 7.85g||31%|
|Trans Fat 0.04g|
|Total Carbs 87.77g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.8g||6%|