At last ~ a HEALTHY stuffing.....that seems like an oxymoron! High in fiber and nutrients but low in fat, this recipe is based on one from the USA Rice Federation. It's quick to make and can be the poultry stuffing, served as a side to holiday dinners, or be a stand-alone luncheon entree. Consider making it a day or so after the turkey was baked: prepare the recipe adding chopped leftover turkey in the last step, and if desired some Greek yogurt or light sour cream to bind it. So glad I came across this one and gave it a chance. It's not just a holiday recipe, but one we'll enjoy year-round.
- 1/3 cup wild rice
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted lightly
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups diced onions
- 1 large red apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & chopped fine
- (or substitute 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage (or 1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring 2 1/4 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Add wild rice, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in brown rice, cover, simmer 30-35 minutes or until tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat about half the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add celery and onions to pan and cook 6-8 minutes stirring frequently til tender and just beginning to lightly brown on edges. Add the apples and cook 2-3 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Stir in the cranberries, pecans, jalapeno, sage, salt, pecans and rice and cook 2-3 minutes or until mixture is heated, stirring occasionally. Serve, drizzling top with remaining olive oil.
- 12 servings (1/2 cup size) as a stuffing, or 8 servings (3/4 cup size) as a side dish.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 106g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 71||38%|
|Total Fat 8.36g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 0.91g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 27.77g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.3g||11%|