This is a family favorite. The original recipe came from Bon Appetit but has evolved over the years to suit our taste. It is a great week night meal because it doesn't require any marinading time and once you have the steak sliced it cooks fairly quickly. I serve these tacos with all the usually things like shredded cheese, sour cream, lettuce and whatever else suits my mood, but, to tell you the truth, they are so nicely seasoned you easily could serve them without all that stuff. In fact, when my son was still living at home, I had to watch the pan closely or he would eat half of it before it got to the table! ( I always let him have a few bites before I "notice" so he could think he was mister sneaky! ).
- Steak Tacos:
- 2 tablespoons vegetables
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 flank steak (about 1 pound ), sliced into 1/4 inch strips, across the grain
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, cooked according to package directions, drained
- 1 jalapeno without the seeds or ribs, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- Warm flour or corn tortillas
- Shredded cheese, sour cream, shredded lettuce, guacamole (whatever you like on tacos)
- 1. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add the onions and the peppers. Saute until very tender about 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- 2. Add steak to skillet and cook until it is no longer pink, about 1 minute. Add jalapenos, corn, reserved onions and peppers, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes or until jalapenos have slightly softened and flavors have melded. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- 3. Serve with warm flour or corn tortillas and any taco fixings you like. Enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 138g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 48||45%|
|Total Fat 5.68g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1.57g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 12.36g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 3.8g||13%|