Spicy Sweet Potato and Chick Pea Parcels with Eggplant Sauce Recipe
Delicately spiced pastry parcels filled with sweet potato, chick peas, spinach, apricots and almonds served with a tomato/eggplant sauce.
- For the parcels:
- 3 cups (1lb, 2oz, 510g) cooked sweet potato, cubed
- 7 1/2 oz (213g) canned chickpeas (half a regular sized can)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced and fried in a little oil until soft
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped dried apricots
- 1 tablespoon flaked almonds
- 1 lb (453g) ready made flaky or puff pastry, cut into 8 6-7 inch (15-18cm) squares
- 1 egg beaten or small quantity Eggbeaters (for an egg wash, omit if wanting a vegan dish)
- flour for dusting.
- For the eggplant sauce:
- 1 large aubergine, diced
- 4 fl oz, 50ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley.
To make the parcel filling, simply mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
Roll out the pastry and cut into 8 squares.
Place a quantity of filling in the centre of each, wet the edges and form into parcels, crimping the sides together to seal them.
Place on an oiled baking tray/cookie sheet and paint with the beaten egg if using.
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 425 degrees F (218 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and risen.
To make the sauce, saute the aubergine in the oil until softened and brown in places. This takes around 10 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
You may need to add a little water during cooking time if the mix requires it.
Serve each parcel with a quantity of sauce poured on top.
How good does this recipe look to you?