This is my award winning recipe from SPAM Recipe Contest 2010.
Tsukune are Japanese meatballs. We use chicken or pork and can be fried, simmered, or grilled. Cooked with salty sweet sauce and yolk for dipping is a popular Izakaya style. I arranged it with SPAM and a hint of ginger!
It's a perfect recipe for bento since it goes great with white rice. At the same time, it's a tasty appetizer for your sake!
- 150g (5.2oz.) SPAM
- 50g (1.7oz.) mixed vegetables
- 300g (10.5oz.) ground pork
- 1 clove of grated garlic
- 1/2 tsp. grated ginger
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp. starch
- salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. mirin (sweet sake)
- 1 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 fresh beaten egg yolk (if preferred)
- chopped scallions
- 1. Dice SPAM into small pieces.
- 2. Mix (A) in a bowl by hand until the mixture comes together and sticky. Add mixed vegetables and diced SPAM, and mix well. Roll the mixture into 12 small oval balls.
- 3. Heat cooking oil in a frying pan, place (2.), cook until the surface is lightly golden, add (B), and simmer until the sauce thickens and almost dry.
- 4. Sprinkle chopped scallions and serve with fresh egg yolk sauce (if preferred).
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 48g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 88||72%|
|Total Fat 9.76g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3.26g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.03g|
|Total Carbs 1.65g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1%|