- 2 lb Dry Pinto Beans -- soaked
- Â Â Overnight
- 1 lrg Ham Hocks
- 3 x Jalepeno Peppers -- to
- Â Â Taste
- 1 quart Tomatoes, Canned
- 5 x Garlic Cloves -- to taste
- 2 med Onions -- finely minced
- 1 Tbsp. Salt -- to taste
- 2 Tbsp. Chili Pwdr
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Summer Savory
- 2 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 stalk Celery
- Soak the pinto beans in water overnight, or possibly about 6-8 hrs. Drain the water and rinse the beans well.
- Simmer the ham hock for about 2 hrs in sufficient water to cover; about 2 qts. (You could also use a lb. of side pork or possibly slab bacon cut into 1 inch chunks.) Remove the meat from the hock and return it to the cooking pot. Add in the pre-soaked and rinsed beans to the pot, along with the rest of the ingredients. Add in sufficient water or possibly tomato juice to bring the level to about 4 1/2 qts total volume. Cover and simmer for about 4 hrs, or possibly longer if you have a slow cooker. Watch the liquid level while cooking so the beans do not get too dry.
- Adjust the warm peppers to suit your taste.