Cost per serving $4.74 view details
- 1 lb scallops
- 5 ounce fresh asparagus sliced 2" lengths
- 6 piece carrot sliced decoratively
- 6 piece bamboo shoots sliced decoratively
- 3 Tbsp. groundnut/peanut oil
- 2 slc fresh ginger, 1/4" thick
- 1/2 x garlic clove finely minced
- 12 med Chinese dry mushrooms soaked in hot
- Â Â water for 45 min, stems discarded,
- Â Â caps quartered
- 2 Tbsp. Shaoxing rice wine or possibly dry sherry
- 1/2 c. Family Chicken Broth (see recipe)
- Â Â Salt to taste
- Â Â Freshly-grnd white pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with
- Â Â a little cool water for thickening
- 1/2 c. whole macadamia nuts
- 2 x scallions, mainly the white parts cut into 2" lengths
- Drop the scallops into a pot of boiling water and cook over high heat till the water comes back to a boil. Remove the scallops, drain, and set aside on a plate.
- Drop the asparagus, carrots, and the bamboo shoot pcs in a pot of boiling water. When the water returns to a boil, cook the vegetables for 20 seconds. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the peanut oil in a preheated wok till the oil begins to smoke. Saute/fry the ginger and garlic for 3 to 4 seconds.
- Add in the scallops and stir-fry over high heat for 30 seconds. Sprinkle on the rice wine then add in the mushrooms, asparagus, carrot and bamboo shoots and toss all of the ingredients quickly together to combine.
- Add in the chicken broth, salt, pepper, and the sugar and toss together for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the thickening mix and stir till the sauce is lightly velvety. Toss in the macadamia nuts and scallions and serve immediately.
- This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
- Comments: Apart from the Chinese having a natural love of fish and seafood, economic reasons have made these two foods important staples in China. Among the shellfish eaten most are shrimp (prawns), crabs, lobsters, abalone and scallops. Scallops are highly regarded and carefully prepared to bring out their delicacy. Dry scallops are a special delicacy used specifically for various dishes and commanding a fearsomely high price.
- This dish of fresh scallops and asparagus with macadamia nuts is a fairly modern interpretation that with its use of nuts bears the unmistakable stamp of Cantonese cuisine.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 227g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 43||25%|
|Total Fat 5.03g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.75g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 9.31g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.7g||6%|