Cost per serving $0.70 view details
- 1 liter half and half cream (or you can use full cream milk in India)
- 1 can of sweetened condense milk (Mum always uses Milkmaid in India)
- Handful of unshelled Pistachios + some for garnish
- 7-8 almonds, skin off
- Seeds from 5-6 green cardamoms
- Start with a heavy bottom pan from your kitchen. Heat the cream on medium heat and keep an eye on it.
- In a blender, add the pistachios and almonds and âpulseâ it, not more than 10-15 seconds. Stop. Shake all the coarsely crushed and powdered nuts into the milk along with the cardamom seeds. Stir again.
- Slowly add the condense milk and mix well. I do not add any sugar, as the sweetened condense milk I use here balances the sweetness. At this point, you can do your own taste test and see if your mixture needs any more sugar. Then add some.
- Keep cooking the milk on low heat and see it change color. Just like the rabri you make for Ras Malai. It works if you keep a ladle dipped in the work-in-progress milk, that way the milk doesn't quickly boil over.
- When the milk and cream are reduced to about less than half the original quantity, cut the heat off. By now it would have attained the coveted texture of raw silk and a color of ivory-brown! The ground pistachio and almonds give you the perfect texture, exactly what a Pistachio Kulfi should have.
- Let it cool. You will notice a thick skin on the milk when it cools down, stir that in too. Thatâs where all the important taste lies.
- Pour the mixture in Kulfi moulds, seal cap and freeze overnight. If you donât have Kulfi moulds, use popsicle moulds or tall shot glasses. You can also stick in a bamboo stirrer/popsicle stick after about 30 minutes into freezing time in the shot glasses. That way you will have a Kulfi on a stick for grown ups who are still children at heart!
- Run warm/tap water for a few seconds on the Kulfi moulds to cleanly get the set Kulfis out. Chop some pistachios up and garnish the Pistachio Kulfis with them.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 59g|
|Recipe makes 10 servings|
|Calories from Fat 47||25%|
|Total Fat 5.34g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 3.27g||13%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 31.31g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.0g||0%|