Pea and asparagus soup Recipe
in the Southern Hemisphere we are in winter so soup is a good warmer in the evenings ,here are some soups I found while browsing on the I africa…
This soup is a blend of peas and asparagus, both of which used on their own also make super soups, but blend the two flavours and you have a rich tasty soup that is even better.
- 400 g fresh green asparagus spears
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 tin of processed peas, well drained
- 600ml chicken stock (you can substitute with vegetable stock)
- 220ml water
- 250 ml thick cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (not olive oil)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried or Fresh tarragon
Cut off asparagus tips and set aside.
Chop stalks coarsely and steam stalks over 300ml water for three minutes, then set aside.
Using same water, cook the asparagus tips for three minutes Remove the asparagus with a slotted spoon and put aside (Donât throw the water away â use it in the soup).
Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat and add the cooking oil .
Add onion and gently sautÃ© until just done (don't let it brown) Add the potatoes and asparagus water and cook until potato is tender.
Add the peas and the asparagus (keep some of the tips aside).
Add stock and tarragon, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
In a blender purÃ©e soup and return to saucepan.
Season with salt and pepper, reheat (but don't let it boil).
Add the cream and the asparagus tips.
Serve in heated bowls, with crusty bread.
* Consider adding a tot of brandy or dry sherry.
How good does this recipe look to you?