- 4 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese
- 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (mild, sweet) medium onion, chopped very fine
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pastry: Soften 3 bricks of cream cheese and 1/2 cup butter at room temperature.
- With wooden spoon, stir flour, cream cheese, and butter until well-combined and smooth.
- Wrap and chil for at least 30 minutes.
- Filling: In skillet, melt remaining butter.
- Add onion and saute until lightly browned.
- Add mushrooms and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat and add cream cheese, a small bit at a time, stirring until it has melted.
- Stir in salt, thyme, and pepper.
- Remove half the dough from the refrigerator.
- Roll on lightly floured board to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut into circles with a 2-inch round cookie cutter.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon filling on each circle.
- Fold dough over filling and press edges with the tines of a fork.
- Make a small slit in the top of each crescent to allow steam to escape while baking.
- Repeat with remaining dough (including scraps) and filling.
- Brush crescents with egg glaze (egg and water).
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- The crescents may be prepared in advance.
- Bake and cool. Then place in a freezer contain and freeze up to one month.
- Warm in 30 degree oven for 20 minutes.