A gift from a friend of Meyer lemons prompted me to post this recipe. It is a combo of Crisco's butter flavored shortening flaky pie crust (wow), and a traditional chess filling.
This is a true old-fashioned southern roadside diner pie, but is great for the holidays.
You can use regular lemons, but the pie will be tart.
9" pie pan (Note: if you use an aluminum foil disposible pan, this pie is fairly heavy, so you may want to pour the filling into the prepared crust while pan is on a baking sheet, or it will spill over the sides, as I found out the hard way. Then bake it on the baking sheet until fairly done, then remove the sheet and finish baking.)
wax paper or plastic wrap for ease of rolling out dough
- 1 1/3 cup AP flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup shortening, chilled (I use Crisco Butter Flavor.)
- 2-3 tbs. cold water
- filling: (all ingredients room temp)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbs. yellow cornmeal
- 1 tbs. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 tbs. lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice, or add a bit of water to regular lemon juice
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- optional: 1/4 cup sweet coconut flakes
- powdered sugar
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening until dough resembles pea sized crumbs.
- Add water, stir, form into a ball, refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Beat the eggs well in a mixing bowl, add the sugar.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, and salt. Combine well with egg/sugar mix.
- Combine the zest, juice, buttermilk, butter and vanilla, add to filling mix. Stir well.
- Roll out the dough from the center to an 11 inch circumference.
- I use wax paper for ease of rolling, and maneuvering the dough into the shell.
- Lift the dough and place in the pie pan, crimp the edges as desired.
- Pour in filling, and bake until the pie is light golden brown and the custard is set, roughly 40 minutes.
- If the crust is browning too quickly, make an aluminum foil protective "rope," and place it around the outer adges. Turn oven down to 325 and continue baking.
- (This pie cooked just great @ 375 for 38 minutes, but ovens differ.)
- Let cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Serve room temp with Cool Whip or Reddi-Whip
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 109g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 204||54%|
|Total Fat 23.1g||29%|
|Saturated Fat 8.69g||35%|
|Trans Fat 4.28g|
|Total Carbs 40.51g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.2g||1%|