Mattar Panner is a classic North Indian vegetarian dish.
The combination of the cottage cheese and green peas in a nice creamy / tomato based gravy makes it such an irresistable dish which can be enjoyed with Roti, Rice or Naan.
Usually mattar paneer is made with a tomato gravy base, but I made it a little creamier using evaporated milk.
Recipe courtesy is by Hetal and Anuja of showmethecurry.com (Panir Makhani), however I modified the preparation a bit upto our taste.
- Paneer (cottage cheese) - 14oz pack,cut into small cubes
- Green Peas - 1cup
- Ginger - Garlic paste - 1tbsp
- Tomato - 3-4 medium sized (pureed/crushed)
- Canola oil - 2tbsp
- Paprika - 2tsp (Can substitue instead with 1tsp red chilli powder and 1tsp paprika for spice and color)
- Corriander powder - 2tsp
- Garam masala - 1.5tsp
- Water - 1cup
- Low-Fat Evaporated milk - 1cup ( can also use Heavy cream instead )
- Salt - to taste
- Corriander leaves - for garnishing
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add the gingder- garlic paste and saute until it starts turning mild brown.
- Now add the pureed or crushed tomato and cook it until the water content has drained off and the oil starts showing.
- Add the spices - Paprika, Corriander powder and garam masala and saute for 2 mins.
- Add the Green Peas, 1cup water and salt and cover and cook for 3-4mins (or until peas become soft)
- Now add the cubed paneer and mix well and cook again for 2-3 mins on medium heat. (the paneer cooks very fast and over cooking can make it either very hard or mashed up)
- If more gravy is required you can add more water and cook.
- Lastly add the evaporated milk - this provides a nice creamy texture and also elevates the taste of the dish ( For a richer tatse you can use Heavy cream)
- On low heat, let the dish simmer for few more minutes. Check and salt and spice levels once more and then take it off the stove and garnish with chopped corriander leaves. ( I dint have any , so couldn't garnish)
- Serve it hot with rice, rotis or naan.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 115g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 64||77%|
|Total Fat 7.25g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 0.56g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.03g|
|Total Carbs 4.0g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|