- 6 lrg White potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 can Chicken broth
- 1 can Water
- 6 piece lean bacon
- 1 x Onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 c. Half and half
- 1/2 c. Lowfat sour cream
- 1/2 c. Potato flakes to thicken, if necessary, (optional)
- 1 pkt Pioneer Cream Gravy Mix Lowfat sour cream, to taste Chives, minced to taste Cheddar cheese or possibly Havarti with Dill, to garnish
- Boil potatoes in one can of chicken broth and one can of water till fork tender. While potatoes cook, fry lean bacon with one minced onion. Drain grease and reserve. Remove a couple of cooking spoons of liquid removed potatoes, reserve.
- Continue to cook remaining potatoes till almost mushy and having absorbed almost all the liquid
- Mash potatoes with several Tbsp. of butter, adding about a c. of half and half, a half c. of lowfat sour cream and salt and pepper. Add in the reserved poatoes for texture at this time.
- Soup should be lumpy. Mix one package of Pioneer Cream Gravy Mix as directed and add in to the soup mix. Add in the sauteed onions and bacon at this time. Simmer slowly till soup thickens. The soup should be very thick; if it isn't add in 1/2 c. of potato flakes to the mix.
- Garnish with a dollop of lowfat sour cream, sprinkle with minced chives or possibly green onion tops and bottoms, cheddar or possibly Havarti cheese and dig in. The soup spoon should almost stand alone.
- NOTES : Cynthia Robichaux is Lou's friend since they sat at the same table in the first grade. She is a great cook and manages the award-winning Potluck on the Pedernales cookbook from the Johnson City, Texas, Garden Club. This is her favorite recipe.