- 1kg chicken or 15/16 pieces
- 2 potatoes - cut into 4
- 2 onions - sliced
- 3-4 shallots (optional) - halved
- 1 dried bay leaf (optional)
- 1 lemon grass (optional) - bruised & cut into two
- 1 tomato- cut into four
- 1 red chilly & 1 green chily - slit
- 1tbsp ginger garlic paste (for marinade)
- 1 grated coconut - extract milk
- 3 big spoon curry powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2tsp black pepper powder
- 2 tbsp kurma powder (optional)
- 5-6 pieces curry leaves
- Coriander leaves - small bunch for frying & garnishing
- 1tsp turmeric powder (for marinade)
- 1tsp cumin powder (for marinade)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 2 cardamon pods
- 2 cloves
- 1tsp fennel seeds
- 1tsp urid dal
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- Salt & sugar to taste
- Marinade the chicken with turmeric powder, cumin powder, salt and ginger-garlic paste and set aside.
- Take the coconut milk in a bowl, add the curry powder,chily powder,pepper powder and or kurma powder. Mix well and keep aside.
- In a pot, pour some cooking oil and add the dry spices like cardamon,anise,pods,cloves and all the seeds and urid dal. Fry for a second then add the onions,shallots,tomatoes,lemon grass,bay leaf and the potatoes. Fry for awhile and cover to let the onions brown a little.
- Then add the marinaded chicken with some water. Mix well to coat the above ingredients and cover to let the chicken to half cook.
- When chicken is half cook, add the coconut milk mixture and mix. Let the curry boil to a thick consistency and the potatoes should cook (not mashed).
- Add salt and a pinch of sugar to taste.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves.