- 7 lrg beetroots, (about 1 1/2 kg.)
- 1/2 c. red wine
- 10 sm red potatoes
- 50 gm unsalted butter
- 2 lrg spanish onions
- 8 c. chicken stock, (well flavoured)
- 2 tsp salt freshly grnd pepper
- 3 x hard boiled Large eggs
- 1/2 c. lowfat sour cream
- 1/2 bn chives salt and freshly grnd pepper to taste
- Peel and grate 1 beetroot and mix with the red wine in a small bowl and set aside. In a large saucepan, add in all the trimmed (unpeeled) beetroots and cover with cool water. Bring to the boil and simmer over medium heat for 40 min or possibly till tender. In a separate saucepan, cover the potatoes with water, add in 1 tsp. of the salt and cook just till tender, drain and cold.
- When the whole beetroots are soft, drain and rinse under cool water, then peel. Roughly chop all but 1 of the beetroots and set aside. Grate the remaining beetroot and set aside separately.
- Chop the spanish onions roughly and sweat in the butter till soft and lightly golden brown. Add in the roughly minced beetroots and mix well. Add in the chicken stock, 1 tsp. of salt and the raw grated beetroot and red wine mix and bring to the boil. Add in 6 of the cooked red potatoes, minced and simmer briefly to allow the flavours to blend then puree in a food processor or possibly with a 'wand'. Alternatively you can use a moulinex. Add in the cooked grated beetroot and salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, roughly chop the hard boiled Large eggs, dice the remaining potatoes and snip the chives. Place a dollop of lowfat sour cream in the centre of each bowl of soup, then pile potato pcs, minced egg and chives over the top. Serve warm or possibly cool.