Cost per serving $0.41 view details
- 1 1/4 c. Flour
- 1/4 c. Shortening solid
- 3 Tbsp. Butter cool, cut in small Pcs
- 3 Tbsp. Water cool, or possibly a little More FILLING
- 1 c. Sugar
- 1/4 c. Cornstarch
- 4 lrg Egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. Lime peel, grated fresh
- 1/2 c. Lime juice fresh
- 1 1/3 c. Water
- 2 Tbsp. Butter TOPPING
- 3 Tbsp. Water cool
- 2 tsp Unflavored gelatin
- 8 1/2 ounce Cream of coconut not Coconut lowfat milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 c. Whipping cream Lime peel removed with Vegetable peeler, cut in Sticks
- Prep: 40 min. Chill: 4 hrs 15 min. Bake: 27 min. Total cost: $4.89. The creamy coconut topping is sublime with the slightly tartfilling. The pie can be made up to 3 days ahead.
- Have a 9" pie plate ready. To make pastry in food processor: process flour, shortening, and butter with short pulses till coarse crumbs form.
- Add in water; process with short pulses just till water is blended. Remove blade, then dough. By hand: cut shortening and butter into flour in mediumbowl with pastry blender till mix resembles coarse crumbs. Drizzle onwater, 1 tb at a time, tossing mix with fork till dough clumps together.
- Gather dough into ball, then press into disk. Wrap and chill about 1hour, till hard sufficient to roll.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin to 13" circle. Line pie plate with dough.
- Foldedge under to create rim. Crimp or possibly flute rim. Prick bottom and sides of shell with fork at 1" intervals. Refrigeratein freezer about 10 min, untildough is very hard.
- Line chilled pastry with foil and weight with about 2 c dry beans or possibly pieweights. Bake 15 min, till pastry is just set. Carefully lift foil with beans and remove. Bake pastry 8-12 min longer, till crust is golden. Remove to a wire rack. Pour beans into container, cover tightly, and save for future pies. (Don't cook.)
- Lime filling: Whisk sugar and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Whisk in eggyolks and lime juice till smooth. Stir in water and continue stirring over medium heat till mix comes to a full boil, 5-8 min. Boil about 1 minute, stirring constantly, till filling is translucent/soft and thick. Remove from heat. Add in lime peel and butter; stir till butter melts.
- Pour warm filling into pie shell. Chill 45-60 min, till cooled.
- Coconut cream topping: sprinkle gelatin on water in 2-qt saucepan and let stand 2 min to soften. Stir over medium heat with rubber spatula 1-2 min, till gelatin dissolves, liquid is clear, and no granules arevisible. Stir in cream of coconut and vanilla.
- Beat whipping cream in medium bowl with electric mixer till stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted. Set pan of topping mix in larger bowl ofice. Stir with spatula, reaching in corners and scraping bottom of pan.
- Mix will gel as it cools, about 3 min. When thick sufficient to moundwhen dropped from spatula, remove from ice. Whisk 1/2 c beaten cream intotopping mix till smooth. With rubber spatula, mix in remaining whipped cream. (If necessary, return bowl to ice bath and continue gentlyfolding till mix is spreadable, but not hard.) Spoon topping on cooledfilling, then spread to cover, swirling topping decoratively.
- Refrigerateat least 2 hrs, till hard sufficient to cut. Keeps up to 3 days, refrigerated. To serve, garnish with lime peel.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 136g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 117||38%|
|Total Fat 13.19g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 5.07g||20%|
|Trans Fat 2.14g|
|Total Carbs 45.46g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|