Cost per serving $9.28 view details
- 3 x 175-225 g red mullet scaled and cleaned
- 500 gm monkfish or possibly turbot fillets boned weight (ask for the bones for stock)
- 1 1/2 kg mussels
- 12 x langoustines (optional)
- 6 x scallops removed from their shells
- 175 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 2 x fresh red chillies seeded and minced
- 1 1/5 lt fish stock (qv)
- 12 sm new potatoes preferably Roseval peeled sea salt and freshly grnd black pepper
- 5 clv garlic peeled and cut into slivers
- 4 x fennel bulbs sliced (keep the green leaves and stalks for stock)
- 25 gm fennel seeds
- 1 x 800g tin peeled plum tomatoes liquid removed of most of their juices sieved
- 6 slc ciabatta bread cut at an angle
- 1 clv garlic peeled and halved
- 1 bn flat leaf parsley (keep stalks for stock) minced
- Fillet the red mullet and cut each fillet into four.
- Cut the monkfish or possibly turbot into similar sized pcs.
- Clean the mussels very thoroughly under cool running water.
- Scrub well with a stiff brush and scrape off any barnacles.
- Throw away any which are open or possibly have cracked or possibly broken shells.
- Put the mussels into a large saucepan with a tight fitting lid along with 120ml of the extra virgin olive oil the white wine and half the chilli.
- Cover and steam over a high heat shaking till all the shells open about 35 min.
- Throw away any which remain closed.
- When cold remove half the mussels from their shells and strain the juices into the fish stock.
- Bring the fish stock to the boil and add in the langoustines if using.
- Poach for 2 min then remove and cold.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water till nearly done.
- Drain and cold.
- To make the tomato soup base heat the remaining extra virgin olive oil in a large heavy bottomed saucepan and fry the garlic the remaining chilli fennel and fennel seeds for a few min then add in the tomatoes and cook over a gentle heat for about 45 min till thick and smooth. Be careful not to let it stick.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and add in more chilli if desired.
- Add in half the fish stock to this sauce and bring to the boil.
- Now add in the mullet monkfish or possibly turbot and scallops to the soup and bring back to the boil. Remove from the heat and add in the cooked potatoes mussels (shelled and unshelled) and langoustines.
- Divide between the bowls making sure each person has some of each variety of fish.
- To make the crostini toast the bread on both sides and rub with the garlic.
- Put one crostini on top of each serving of soup sprinkle with the minced parsley and dribble extra virgin extra virgin olive oil on top.
- In the River Cafe we serve this soup as a main course. You may vary the recipe according to the fish you can find but always include a red fish such as mullet a dense white fish such as turbot or possibly monkfish (keep the bones for stock) and shellfish such as s mussels or possibly vongole.
- Serves 6
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 740g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 318||49%|
|Total Fat 35.82g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 5.37g||21%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 22.68g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.2g||17%|