My children also love these lovely little cookies with a buttercream filling, but today I used a Lemon Curd adapted from Epicurious. These can be rich, so keep them small
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour
- Lemon Curd:
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter, cut in pieces
- 2 tblsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large egg yolks, slightly beaten in a small bowl
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all cookie ingredients and beat till well combined.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment.
- Using a small cookie scoop (or tsp.) form small balls on cookie sheet. Using a greased glass dipped in sugar, flatten each ball into a disk about 1 1/2â in diameter. These should be small.
- Bake for about 9 minutes till set- cookies should not brown, but should be âcookedâ.
- Cool on a wire rack. Put a tsp of lemon curd (or buttercream) on half the cookies and top with the remainder to form sandwiches
- For lemon curd:
- Combine all ingredients except yolks in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly.
- Continue whisking and simmer 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk about 1/4-1/2 cup hot lemon mixture into yolks to temper.
- Add yolk mixture to lemon mixture and, whisking constantly, simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and put in a bowl.
- Press a piece of plastic wrap on the surface and chill till cold