- 2 c. flour
- 1 c. butter
- 1 c. sugar (caster)
- 1 sm egg beaten salt
- 3 ounce finely minced candied ginger
- (Should be butter). (J: Probably was unsalted - If you use salted butter, you could omit the salt called for in the recipe)
- Knead all the ingredients into a smooth paste, keeping half the beaten egg for decorating.
- Butter a pie pan (8 inches diameter) and press the dough into it. Brush the remaining egg on top. Decorate the top in squares with the back of a knife.
- Bake 30 min in a moderate oven (350F) till golden. While still warm press the middle of the cake down with the back of a spoon. Cold and when hard to the touch turn out onto a wire rack. This cake should be soft inside (but done!) and hard at the outside.
- NOTES : We spent most of the '70s in Holland. At which time most home cooking was done on a four burner stove-top as few Dutch houses had ovens. Cakes were bought from the baker, or possibly grocer in the case of ontbijt koek.