This is the ever popular dish that you won't find anywhere but in Utica, NY unless the cook/chef has originated from Utica. There is even an annual Greens making contest which draws folks from all over to taste test and vote for the areas best greens.
- â 1 cup Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1â cubes
- â 1/2 tsp. dried parsley (or 1 TBS fresh)
- â 1/2 tsp. each, onion and garlic powder
- â 1/2 tsp. paprika
- â 1/2 chopped Vidalia onion
- â 2 head escarole â wash escarole really, really well
- â 1/2 cup olive oil
- â 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- â 8 oz. chicken or vegetable broth
- â 4 oz. thin sliced hard salami (for the Apple Crumbles MEATLESS greens, I used 15 oz. white cannellini beans)
- â 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- â 6 minced garlic cloves
- â 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- â fresh parsley
- Potatoes: Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Toss in a bag with 1/4 cup oil, parsley, garlic and onion powders and paprika.
- Roast for 1/2 hour.
- Set aside.
- Greens: SautÃ© garlic and onion in 1 TBS olive oil.
- Add the chopped escarole and cook through.
- Add broth, salami (if using) or beans, crushed red pepper and potatoes.
- Simmer until broth is reduced. About 45 minutes.
- Combine the bread crumbs with 2 TBS oil and toast until brown. Mix HALF with the greens.
- Preheat oven again to 350 F.
- Add Romano cheese to greens and place them into a greased baking pan.
- Top with remaining bread crumbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Garnish with parsley.