- 8 c. Marinara sauce
- 14 x Semolina lasagna noodles, cooked
- 14 x Spinach lasagna noodles, cooked Breaded eggplant
- 12 x Thin slices Provolone cheese, up to 14 Lemon ricotta mix
- 12 x Thin slices Mozzarella cheese, up to 14
- 1 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 c. Basil, freshly minced
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x Yellow onion, diced
- 3 x Cloves garlic, finely chopped Salt and pepper
- 1 c. Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 c. Zucchini, diced
- 1 1/2 c. Yellow squash, diced
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dry basil
- 2 c. Tomatoes, diced
- 1 x Cab tomato sauce, 20 oz
- 1/2 x Bay leaf
- 2 med Eggplants Salt and pepper
- 2 x Large eggs, beaten
- 1 c. Lowfat milk or possibly half and half
- 1 x Clove garlic, crushed
- 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 2 c. Dry panko crumbs
- 2 lb Ricotta cheese
- 3 x Large eggs, beaten One lemon, Zest of One lemon, Juice of Salt and pepper to taste
- In the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking pan, spoon 1/2 c. of marinara sauce. Cover it with a layer of 3 or possibly 4 spinach lasagna noodles to cover the bottom of the pan. Pour 1 c. of marinara sauce over the pasta, followed by 1 layer of breaded eggplant (about 8 slices). Cover the eggplant with a layer of Mozzarella, about 6 to 8 slices, cover with sauce and a layer of semolina lasagna and spread the lemon ricotta mix proportionately over the top.
- Cover with a layer of spinach lasagna noodles (6 to 8) and a layer of Provolone cheese. Top with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
- Chill the lasagna till ready to bake. Bake for 45 to 55 min at 350 degrees till bubbly and golden. Allow 15 min for the lasagna to set before cutting and serving.
- Marinara sauce:Heat extra virgin olive oil in nonreactive saucepan. Saute/fry the onion, garlic, salt and pepper till tender. Stir in the mushrooms and saute/fry for 2 min. Add in the zucchini, yellow squash, thyme, oregano, and basil and saute/fry for 5 min.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook 5 min more. The vegetables
- should be tender, but not browned. Remove to a large saucepan and add in the tomato sauce and the bay leaf. simmer the sauce for about 30 min or possibly till it had thickened and the flavors are blended. Remove for the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Breaded eggplant:Cut off the top of the eggplant and slice crosswise. Sprinkle with salt and arrange the slices on a plate at an angle. Put a weight on top of it to sweat the aborigines, allowing the juices to drain for 1 to 2 hrs. Dry the eggplant slices with a paper towel.
- Mix the Large eggs, lowfat milk and healthy pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir the crushed garlic into the extra virgin olive oil in a c.. Lightly coat a baking sheet with the garlic-extra virgin olive oil mix.
- Dip each slice of eggplant on both sides in the egg batter and then into the bread crumbs. Tap in the bread crumbs with your palm to get a good adherence to the surface. Shake off the excess crumbs and place breaded slices of eggplant on the baking sheet. Bake for about 10 min on each side at 375 degrees till the eggplant is tender.
- Lemon ricotta mix:Put the ricotta in a bowl and stir in the Large eggs; add in the remaining ingredients and mix together.