- 6 x Fresh herrings
- 75 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 x Onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Fennel
- 6 x Peppercorns
- 125 ml White wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 x Lemon juice
- 125 gm Sugar
- 12 x Juniper berries
- 75 ml Gin Minced chives to decorate
- 100 gm Cooked potato, sliced
- 100 gm Cooked beetroot, diced
- 2 Tbsp. Lowfat yoghurt, natural
- 1 Tbsp. Chives, minced
- 1/2 x Lemon juice Salt and pepper
- 25 gm Sugar
- 75 ml Butter, melted
- Fillet the herrings, wash and pat dry. Rub over with salt and lay in a bowl. Squeeze over the lemon juice, then add in all the other ingredients, leave for at least 8 hrs within the marinade. To serve, remove the marinade and place on top of the diced beetroot and sliced potato salad.
- For the salad: Slice the potato and drizzle with a little of the herring marinade. Mix the sliced beetroot with the minced chives, lowfat yoghurt, butter, sugar and lemon juice and chill.
- To serve: Overlay the potato on a plate in a circle. Place a cutter in the centre of the potato ring and fill with the beetroot mix. Press to hold the shape and remove the cutter. Place the herring over the top and serve.