Cost per serving $1.50 view details
- 1 1/2 lb grnd sirloin Crumbled blue cheese optional Light extra virgin olive oil Coarse salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste Thinly-sliced cheddar (optional)
- 4 x buns unsalted butter for buns, at room temperature Onion slices optional
- 4 slc cooked bacon - (to 8) (optional) Sliced tomatoes (optional) Lettuce (optional) Ketchup (optional) Mustard (optional) Mayonnaise (optional) Relish (optional)
- Divide sirloin into four equal portions, and form patties, each about 1 inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. Be careful not to overhandle the meat, that compresses and toughens it. Place a small amount of blue cheese in the center of each patty, if you like. Rub patties lightly with a very small amount of extra virgin olive oil.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat till very warm. Place patties in skillet, and cook for 4 min. Turn, and season with salt and pepper. Top with cheese, if you like, cover, and cook 3 min more for medium-rare.
- Note: The leaner the meat, the more important it is to serve the burger rare; the fat is what makes it juicy, so when a lean burger is cooked too long, it dries out.
- Meanwhile, slice open buns, and toast them; spread with butter, if you like. When burgers are done, serve on toasted buns with any combination of the following: onions, bacon, tomatoes, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and relish.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
- Comments: The word "hamburger" comes from the seaport town of Hamburg, Germany, where nineteenth-century sailors returned from their travels telling of the shredded meat they ate in Russia; soon after, a German chef mastered the technique, and the dish became a staple there. The popularity of hamburgers as we know them in the United States is said to have started at the St. Louis Louisiana Purchase Exposition in 1904, when a young grill chef sold them at a small concession stand.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 220g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 284||55%|
|Total Fat 31.52g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 11.48g||46%|
|Trans Fat 1.09g|
|Total Carbs 17.62g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.7g||2%|