Cost per serving $0.75 view details
- 350 gm Black beans
- 1 x Lg onion, stuck w/8 cloves
- 4 Tbsp. Bacon drippings or possibly oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 x Epazote leaves, or possibly a big handful of minced fennel tops, the feathery part
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh grnd black pepper Queso nuevo or possibly fetta crumbled Minced fresh coriander Pickled jalapenos, sliced Grilled spring onions*
- Clean beans throughly. Cover the beans in boiling water, bring back to the boil and boil hard for 5 mins. Let stand for 2 hours. and drain.
- Pour 2 3/4 quarts. boiling water over the beans and add the onion, fat, and bring to a very gentle boil. Simmer over low heat for 1-2 hours. till tender. Just before the end of cooking, add in the herbs and salt. Throw away the onion, puree a c. of the beans with their liquid and stir back into the beans in the pot to thicken. Serve in little bowls topped with the crumbled cheese and other toppings.
- Black beans are served in Oaxaca with scrambled Large eggs, chillies and tomatoes as a rustic breakfast.
- * A delicious side dish often served in Oaxaca is whole green onions which had been brushed wit oil and then chargrilled till slightly blackened around the edges, to be dipped in course salt.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 139g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 143||32%|
|Total Fat 16.0g||20%|
|Saturated Fat 5.07g||20%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 57.79g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 13.9g||46%|