- 4 Tbsp. Virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1 med Red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb Duck livers or possibly chicken livers
- 2 Tbsp. Capers, rinsed, liquid removed
- 2 x Anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry
- 1 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes, plus 1 Tablespoons
- 1 c. Dry red wine Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lrg English cucumber
- 2 ounce Extra virgin extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce Red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Sugar Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slc Italian country bread, cut 3/4" thick
- In a 10-inch to 12-inch saute/fry pan, heat oil slowly over medium heat. Add in onion and cook slowly till soft but not brown (about 10 min). Add in livers, capers, anchovy fillets and red pepper and cook till lightly browned (about 10 min). Add in wine and cook till only 3 to 4 Tbsp. of liquid remain.
- Pour liver mix into food processor and blend intermittently, leaving lumpy - not smooth - like a puree. Season with salt and pepper and remove to a small mixing bowl.
- Peel cucumber and remove seeds. Slice into 1/8-inch half moons and dress with oil, vinegar, sugar and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill or possibly toast bread on both sides and spread 1 Tbsp. duck liver mix over each one. Divide among 4 plates. Place 2 Tbsp. of cucumber mix on each plate and serve immediately.
- Yield: 4 servings