For the heck of it on a dull afternoon we put the “scientific method” to the taste test to determine the best potatoes for potato salad. There were only 3 varieties on hand to test: russet, red, and Yukon Gold. One-half pound of each were cooked just till tender, drained, cooled and cubed. The recipe selected was Classic Potato Salad from BHG.COM. One-fourth of the recipe ingredients were combined with each of the half-pound cooked potato varieties, and a single blind study using volunteer taste testers unanimously determined the potato champion.....Yukon Gold. That batch of salad had potatoes with a pleasing, moist and smooth texture that kept shape the best. Oh yeah, and after all was said and done, we just mixed the salads all together for dinner, and no one was the wiser (except the ‘insiders.’)
- 6 medium potatoes (2 pounds), simmered till tender, drained, cooled, peeled & cubed
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Â½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- Â½ cup sweet or dill pickle relish
- Paprika (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper.
- Stir in celery, onion and relish.
- Add potatoes and eggs and toss lightly to coat.
- Cover and chill 6 to 24 hours.
- If desired, sprinkle with paprika right before serving.
- Yield: 12 side-dish servings.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 117g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 172||73%|
|Total Fat 19.51g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 2.72g||11%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 14.72g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.0g||7%|