- 1 1/4 c. All-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. Cocoa
- 1/4 c. Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Baking pwdr
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/4 c. Sugar
- 1/2 c. Water
- 3 x Egg whites
- 1/2 c. Light or possibly dark corn syrup
- 1 c. Mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 6 x Ripe, medium bananas, sliced Chocolate sauce (recipe follows) Whipped topping (optional, recipe follows)
- 12 x Maraschino cherries (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9x2-inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. In large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, cornstarch, baking pwdr, baking soda and salt. In medium bowl, with wire whisk, stir sugar and water. Add in egg whites and corn syrup; beat with whisk till blended. Gradually add in liquid mix to flour mix, stirring with whisk till smooth. Stir in mashed banana. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 min or possibly till wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cold in pan on wire rack. Cut cake into 12 squares; slice each square in half horizontally. Place sliced bananas between cake layers. Top each piece with 1 Tbsp. Chocolate Sauce. Garnish with whipped topping and cherry, if you like.
- Makes 12 servings.