Between the sheets of PHYLLO Pastry...what can we find? Just some of my favorite ingredients. Buttery light and flaky describes anything enveloped by these delicate sheets. Its time for you to get acquainted with this magical dough which will yield impressive results every time.
For a fully dedicated post on: PHYLLO 101 explanation...refer to:
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . 4 large 'Phyllo' dough sheets
- . 1/2 cup (120ml) melted butter
- . 1/4 cup (60ml) canola oil
- . 2 medium apples (i.e.: McIntosh...)
- . 12 small pieces of semi-sweet (55-60%) chocolate or 12 Tbsps. of 'ganache'
- . 12 nut halves: walnuts or pecans
- . sprinkle of confectioners’ sugar and/or ground cinnamon for garnish (optional)
- . Pre-heat oven to 375F/190C/Gas5. Position rack on 2nd level from the bottom of the oven. Clean and prepare a large enough space on the counter to work the pastries. Line a very large cookie sheet with a parchment paper or use a 'Silpat'. Set aside. Dampen a tea towel to later cover the unused, 'Phyllo'. In a small bowl, melt the butter and then mix in the oil.
- . PREPARE the FILLING and the SHEETS: Measure and set aside the nuts and chocolate. Peel and thinly slice the apples. Set aside briefly. Place the 'Phyllo' sheets under the damp cloth. When you are absolutely ready, take one sheet at the time and lightly drizzle the butter/oil mix. Leave the remaining sheets under the cover to prevent them from drying. Afterwards, with your hand, quickly spread the mix throughout the surface of the sheet, while making sure the edges are well covered. Make sure not to saturate the sheets.
- . ASSEMBLY: With a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, evenly cut 3 strips from the first phyllo pastry sheet. The width will be about 4 inches/ 10 cm. At the start of each strip, leave a small space before placing three apple slices, followed by chocolate, a nut and topped by a sprinkle of cinnamon. Afterwards, fold each strip into a triangle (as if folding a flag)...Start with the right hand corner and flip to the left by creating a triangle. Continue with that pointed end and flip upwards. Flip again to the opposite end and repeat the last few steps until you almost reach the end. At this point make a small fold that will be left tucked under.
- . Brush a little of the butter mix onto the surfaces before placing them onto the baking sheet. Repeat the same for the remaining ingredients.
- . Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the pockets turn a golden colour. When cooled onto racks, sprinkle with optional icing sugar and cinnamon.
- . Enjoy Claudia's flavourful wishes at...FOODESSA.com