Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner and not that I need an excuse to fix Mexican inspired food but this is perfect for a fiesta on Saturday or anytime! I love quesadillas – they are neat, easy to handle, and filling. They are perfect for tailgating, picnicking or while out on the boat. This is my last international flavored dish for April and I took advantage of one of our Leroy’s Gourmet Flavored Ketchup samples to season this one just right!
Leroy’s also sent me their Mustard & Spice variety which had a wonderful twang to it. I used it whipping up some shrimp and grits one night and the family loved it. I would never have thought that a flavored ketchup would lend so much to a dish but the distinct tastes DO go beyond ketchup – and in a very tasty way.
- The following quantities make 5 whole quesadillas or 30 triangles.
- 1 8 oz package of rice and beans without the seasoning package
- 3 whole, large chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 12 oz bottle of Leroyâs Gourmet Flavored Ketchup â Homemade Chili variety
- 10 burrito size tortillas
- Sour cream if desired for serving
- Cook the rice and beans mixture according to directions but DO NOT use the seasoning package (if it comes packaged with seasoning mixed in use a sifter to remove seasonings).
- Shred the chicken with forks while the rice is cooking.
- Mix the rice and chicken together in a large bowl.
- Add the Leroyâs and stir well.
- Heat a large skillet or a quesadilla maker.
- Place the bottom tortilla in the skillet and layer 1/5th of the rice-chicken on it and spread evenly.
- Top with 1/5th of the cheese and spread evenly.
- Top with a tortilla (you now have a quesadilla) and cook until browned on both sides.
- Cut each quesadillas into 6 triangles.
- TIP: If you are cooking in a skillet use two spatulas to turn the quesadilla OR cover with the skillet lid, tip onto the lid and slide back into the pan to brown the other side. Quesadilla makers run about $20 and make things much simpler!
- For another Mexican inspired dish check out one of last yearâs recipes: Lime-Cilantro Chicken Salad with Salsa Dressing.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 36g|
|Recipe makes 30 servings|
|Calories from Fat 56||50%|
|Total Fat 6.35g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3.57g||14%|
|Trans Fat 0.02g|
|Total Carbs 6.24g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.1g||0%|