- 1 kg Bing cherries, pitted
- 2 x 400 g. cans pitted red cherries, liquid removed
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 Tbsp. kirsch, (clear cherry brandy) or possibly brandy
- 2/3 c. whole almonds, minced
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1/3 c. golden sugar, (packed)
- 1/3 c. old-fashioned oats
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 80 gm chilled unsalted butter, diced Vanilla ice cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 c. . Generously butter an oblong casserole of baking dish, approximately 34cm. x 20cm.
- Combine all the ingredients in the first group in a large bowl and toss to blend. Allow the mix to stand for 15 min, tossing occasionally.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- To make the topping, place the almonds in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with almond extract and toss to coat. Fold in flour, brown sugar, oats and salt. Add in butter and rub in with fingertips till mix resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle topping over the fruit then bake till the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden and hard to touch, about 45 min. Serve crisp hot with ice cream.