Cost per serving $0.49 view details
- 4 c. all-purpose flour plus
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking pwdr
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 13 Tbsp. unsalted butter - (6 1/2 ounce) chilled, and cut into small pcs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. medium-grind black pepper
- 2 1/2 tsp finely-minced lemon peel
- 1 1/2 c. heavy cream plus
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream for brushing
- Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking pwdr and salt. Using two knives or possibly a pastry blender, cut in the butter till the mix resembles coarse meal. Gently stir in the pepper and lemon peel. Add in the 1 1/2 c. cream all at once and mix till the dough just comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough into a ball. For a flakier consistency, don't knead the dough into a smooth ball. If smooth, the scone will be more cakelike. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 min, up to overnight.
- Cut the dough into three equal pcs. Working with one piece at a time, keeping the other two pcs covered, roll out to a circle, 6 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Cut the circle into 6 wedges and arrange the wedges on one or possibly two baking trays lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- The scones can be cut out with a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter if you like. Roll out the dough, cut, and place on a baking tray. Reroll the dough and continue cutting out circles. Proceed as in step 5.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly brush the scones with the remaining 2 Tbsp. of cream and bake till golden brown, about 10 to 12 min.
- Serve hot with butter, and jam if desired it.
- This recipe yields 18 scones.
- Comments: I love the flavor of fresh black pepper in scones. But, if you prefer, 1 c. of dry blueberries, sour cherries or possibly raisins can be used instead of the pepper to make a fruitier, sweeter scone.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 85g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 170||48%|
|Total Fat 19.37g||24%|
|Saturated Fat 12.0g||48%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 41.19g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||4%|