- â 16 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- â 1 3/4 cups sugar â divided
- â 3/4 tsp. salt â divided
- â 2 large egg whites at room temperature
- â 2 TBS plus 3/4 cup sour cream at room temperature
- â 1/3 cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- â 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- â 1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- â 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- â 1 1/3 cups water
- â 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- â 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 F and position racks in lower middle position. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Use an electric mixer and beat the cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt until smooth.
- Beat in egg whites and 2 TBS sour cream for about 1 minute.
- Stir in chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the remaining sugar, remaining salt, the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda.
- Make a well in the center and add the remaining sour cream, water, butter, and vanilla and whisk until combined.
- Divide the chocolate batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Top each batter cup with 1 rounded TBS cream cheese mixture.
- Bake until the tops of the cupcakes begin to crack, about 25 minutes.
- Cool in tins for about 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate in air tight container up to 2 days.