I served this rice with Balinese Roast Pork, and I think the rice was as big of a hit as the roast! I adapted the recipe from the The Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen...one of my favoirte cookbooks. I wasn't sure about a rice dish from a BBQ fanatic, but this is truly awesome! I substituted half brown rice for health, and you absolutely could not tell...the turmeric makes everything yellow anyway and it was plenty soft and fluffy.
- 1.5 cups uncooked Jasmine rice
- 1.5 cups uncooked brown jasmine rice (or brown basmati rice)
- 1.5 cups water
- 1.5 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 6 oz coconut milk
- 1 stalk fresh lemon grass, trimmed and pounded flat
- 4 slices fresh galangal or ginger, lightly pounded
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp salt (use less if you use regular salted chicken broth)
- Rinse rice with cold water to remove impurities.
- Put the water, chicken broth, coconut milk, lemongrass, galangal or ginger, turmeric, and salt in a large heavy pot or rice cooker. If rice cooker, add rice and cook. If pot, bring to boil,over high heat, add rice, return to boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook about 15-18 minutes until rice is tender. Let stand, covered for about 5 minutes.
- Gently fluff the rice with a fork. Remove the lemongrass and galangal or ginger. They should have floated to the top. Then stir the rice to evenly distribute the flavors. Serve in a large serving bowl. If you like, form into the shape of a cone to emulate the traditional Balinese serving style!
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 244g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 59||15%|
|Total Fat 7.05g||9%|
|Saturated Fat 5.65g||23%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 75.83g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.3g||4%|