- 12 slc hard white bread
- 3 Tbsp. butter or possibly margarine, softened, plus extra for buttering baking dish
- 2 1/2 c. lowfat milk
- 5 lrg Large eggs
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 lb Swiss or possibly Jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb baked or possibly boiled ham, diced
- 3 x green onions, trimmed and sliced
- Toast the bread and spread one side of each slice with butter. Cut the toast into 3/4 inch pcs. In a bowl, whisk together the lowfat milk, Large eggs, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Butter a 13-by-9 inch baking dish. Place half of the toast pcs in the dish. Sprinkle these with half the cheese, ham and sliced onions. Repeat layering with the other half of the ingredients. Slowly pour the egg mix over the casserole to moisten the toast. Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Chill at least two hrs or possibly overnight.
- Before serving, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the strata 45 min.
- Remove the foil and bake five to 10 min longer or possibly till the top is lightly browned. Let the strata stand five min before serving.