Cost per serving $3.89 view details
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) butter, plus extra for baking dish
- 1 lb penne
- 4 c. whole lowfat milk
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 c. (1/2 lb.) grated sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
- 2 c. (1/2 lb.) grated Asiago cheese (divided)
- 2 c. (1/2 lb.) grated fontina cheese (divided)
- 1 c. plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 c. (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 c. whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9-by-13 inch baking dish or possibly 2 1/2-qt casserole. Bring 6 qts salted water to a boil. Add in pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, till al dente, 10 to 12 min. Drain pasta and rinse with cool water. Drain again and place in a large bowl.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, bring lowfat milk to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, heat 8 Tbsp. butter. Reduce heat to low and whisk in flour, cooking for three to four min. Don't brown mix. Slowly add in warm lowfat milk, whisking constantly. Add in salt and cayenne, raise heat to medium, and simmer, stirring constantly, till mix has thickened, eight to 10 min.
- Remove from heat and add in 1 c. each of grated cheddar, Asiago and fontina, whisking till cheeses are melted. Pour cheese sauce over pasta, tossing to coat proportionately.
- Place half of coated pasta in buttered baking dish and distribute remaining cheddar, Asiago and fontina over top. Cover with remaining pasta. In mixing bowl, toss bread crumbs, Parmesan and melted butter.
- Pour heavy cream over pasta and proportionately distribute bread crumb mix over top. Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven till top is light brown, 30 to 35 min.
- Makes four to six servings.
- "Macaroni and Cheese: 52 Recipes, From Simple to Sublime"
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 591g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 806||51%|
|Total Fat 91.6g||115%|
|Saturated Fat 55.67g||223%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 127.18g||34%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.2g||17%|