The versatile, buttery flavoured CHICK PEA holds its own on the legume circuit.
Cottage cheese and aged Cheddar complement this Chick pea pattie. The additions of capers, Dijon and one of my favourite 'Pindjur' condiments made these cakes special.
For a detailed post...refer to:
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . > PART- 1
- . 2-1/2 cups (large 19oz./ 540ml can) Chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- . 2 cups (500g) Cottage cheese or fresh Ricotta
- . 1 xLarge egg
- . 3 Tbsps. (45ml) Pindjur* (optional)
- . 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Dijon mustard
- . 1 Tbsp. (15ml) capers
- . > PART- 2
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) each: sea salt and garlic powder
- . 1/2 tsp. (2.5ml) each dried herb: Marjoram, Sage, Tarragon
- . 1/2 cup (50g) aged Cheddar cheese, grated
- . 1/2 cup (30g) whole wheat bran cereal, crushed
- . 20 pitted olives, sliced
- . * PINDJUR: a Turkish condiment made of a blend of roasted red peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, onions, tomato paste, sunflower oil, vinegar, garlic, spices. It is easily found in all Middle Eastern grocery stores. Note: replacing Pindjur with 1 Tbsp. (15ml) of Tomato paste can also give good results.
- . In a food processor, add all ingredients from Part-1 and pulsate a few times before continuing to give it a continual processing until smooth.
- . Take out this mixture into a bowl and blend in everything from Part-2...except the sliced olives. Once it's well combined, gently add the olives until all seems evenly spread throughout the mix. Cover and refrigerate the mix for as little time as 30 minutes or up until overnight if wanting to prepare this ahead of time.
- . ASSEMBLY and BAKING: Pre-heat oven to 375F/190C /Gas5 and position rack on the 2nd level from the bottom. Also prepare a very large baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- . Remove mix from the refrigerator. With a large ice-cream scoop, measure each portion and pack it densely before extracting onto the baking sheet. Once all mounds are evenly placed, press down and lightly flatten patties with the aid of the backside of a wet spoon. First, bake patties for 30 minutes. Afterwards, temporarily remove the baking pan from the oven to gently flip over the patties for the rest of the baking process. Continue for another 15 minutes until crispy on the outside, while remaining slightly soft on the inside.
- . Flavourful wishes from Claudia's kitchen...FOODESSA.com