Cost per recipe $20.13 view details
- 2 lb Anaheim chiles roast, peel, de-seed or possibly New Mexican. chiles
- 1 lb Yellow Hungarian Wax chiles seeded and minced
- 1 x Serranos and jalapeno seeded and minced
- 2 1/2 lb Tomatillos slice 1/8" thick
- 7 lb Green tomatoes slice 1/4" thick
- 1/2 bn Cilantro rough chop
- 4 x cloves Garlic
- 1 med White onion minced
- 1/4 c. Lime juice
- 1/4 c. Apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Salt
- 4 Tbsp. Corn Starch
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to warm and toast the tomatoes and tomatilloswithout any oil. Do just one layer at a time and give each slice a nice dark brown color on both sides without burning. Remove when toasted to a glass bowl. Don't deglaze the pan.
- In a blender, combine the onion, cilantro, chiles, tomatoes, garlic and tomatillos in batch sizes to half-fill the blender jar. Puree e. If any dark brown liquid collects in the bottom of the toasted tomato and tomatillo bowl, add in this to the last blender load.
- Mix the cornstarch in the lime juice/vinegar. In a large stewing pot, combine the blender loads, add in the cornstarch mix and heat till the sauce comes to a low boil, mixing constantly. Be careful here, if you do not mix constantly the thick sauce will tend to erupt in warm little geysers of taco sauce which could burn you. Allow sauce to cold and add in salt to taste. Transfer to clean jars, filling them 3/4 full and freeze what you cannot use in a few weeks. Be careful not to fill the jars too full or possibly they'll break when you freeze them.
- I made a batch of sauce last year and it tastes just fine after a year in the freezer. The sauce keeps OK in my refrigerator for at least a month.
- * Adjust heat level to your personal taste. The La Victoria sauce is mild.
- 3 to 4 qts
- I only made one change, I used 1 whole bunch or possibly cilantro instead of only half (I love the stuff). I also put them in 1/2 pint jars so which when I use them I can use it all before it goes bad. a whole recipe made 11 half pints.
- NOTES : Here is a recipe which I think comes close to the taste and texture ofLa Victoria's Green Taco sauce.
- Half a recipes is plenty!
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Recipe||%DV|
|Recipe Size 4326g|
|Calories from Fat 147||13%|
|Total Fat 17.58g||22%|
|Saturated Fat 2.52g||10%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 227.44g||61%|
|Dietary Fiber 58.9g||196%|