Meatball ingredients: lean ground meat (I used an equal combination of ground beef, turkey and sausage); zucchini, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, egg, salt and pepper.
Not your typical meatball here! A great way to use up surplus zucchini, and get the kids to eat more vegetables (they’ll hardly even know it!) Moist meatballs are browned and then smothered with an easy cream sauce, all in one pan. Add rice or noodles and a green vegetable or salad and you’ve a quick delicious meal. This has always been a hit for everyday, and even for company. Use your meat of choice or a combination of ground beef, turkey or pork. (You can substitute 2 cups of your own favorite cream sauce in place of the canned soup, sour cream and milk.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or more if needed
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or ground turkey or pork, etc.)
- 1 Â½ cups grated zucchini
- Â½ cup onion chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Â½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper (optional: go light or omit salt until you taste meatballs in the sauce, to offset sodium in canned soup)
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup (10 3/4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- Dash nutmeg (optional)
- Heat a large skillet on medium-low heat. Add olive oil.
- In large mixing bowl combine meat, zucchini, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, egg and (optional) salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Form mixture into golf ball size balls and add to heated skillet. (Mixture is soft and somewhat difficult to form into balls, but persevere - this is a work of love!)
- Cook and turn gently to brown on all sides, adjusting heat and adding a little more oil if needed to prevent sticking.
- Depending on meat used you may need to drain excess grease away (I had none at all.)
- In small mixing bowl combine soup, sour cream, milk and (optional) nutmeg; stir to blend well.
- Pour sauce over meatballs; cover pan and heat 2-3 minutes, stirring briefly to coat all meatballs well.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 252g|
|Recipe makes 5 servings|
|Calories from Fat 224||59%|
|Total Fat 25.0g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 9.29g||37%|
|Trans Fat 0.85g|
|Total Carbs 15.9g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.1g||4%|