Oven temp was nearly 300 degrees, but dropped when lid was opened to put cake inside. It baked at about 250-275 remaining time. Would have baked quicker in a dark pan but all I had were shiny.
About 45 minutes into baking time, top is firm enough to sprinkle with mini chocolate chips and pecans, then continue baking to cook the middle.
One of my absolute favorites and most requested cake recipes is this yummy chocolate cake. Couldn't wait til summer's over to turn the oven on indoors, so I just heated up the solar oven outside! What I especially like is the self-frosting the mini- chocolate chips and pecans create on top. If you like 'em ooey-gooey, serve cake the same day, but I like them to firm up so I usually make the day before. I had to cut the original recipe in half so pan would fit the solar oven. (See "Useful Links" below for the original cake baked conventionally, which is full size.)
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Â½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- Â½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- Â½ cup (3 ounces) mini-chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Position solar oven in sun and heat to moderate baking temperature (300 degrees or more). This may take 30 minutes or more depending on ambient temperature and conditions.
- In medium mixing bowl beat sugar, oil and egg for 1 minute.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla; beat one additional minute.
- In another bowl combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir dry ingredients and zucchini into egg mixture, mixing just until blended.
- Pour into a 7" x 11" dark greased baking pan. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until cake top is beginning to set. (Timing will vary considerably due to differences in solar oven and conditions.
- Leaving pan in oven, carefully sprinkle cake top with chocolate chips and pecans.
- Continue baking 20-30 or more minutes until cake is (1) set (2) pulls away from edges, and (3) tests clean in center with toothpick or cake tester.
- Cool pan on a wire rack.
- Yield: 12 servings about 2 1/2" square.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 58g|
|Recipe makes 12 servings|
|Calories from Fat 76||38%|
|Total Fat 8.59g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 0.76g||3%|
|Trans Fat 0.03g|
|Total Carbs 28.39g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0.9g||3%|