I’d run out of inspiration for how to use up summer’s end of zucchini, tomatoes and basil, until I came across a recipe in Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone (Deborah Madison). After finishing off a single piece of this divine pizza, I am moving this recipe to my "Favorite Meals Before I Die" list, it’s that good! This makes a 10" pizza perfect for two dinner size servings, or 4 luncheon size servings with salad. Use the “Number of Servings” feature below to increase it as needed. I did tweak the recipe some to accommodate supplies on hand, or just because I tend to ‘deviate creatively’ from recipes, but this follows the cookbook version fairly close.
- 10" PIZZA DOUGH RECIPE (or substitute your favorite pre-made pizza crust and adjust baking time & temp accordingly):
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour, divided plus possibly more for kneading
- Â½ teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Â½ teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 Â½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
- 3 small or 2 medium zucchini thinly sliced into rounds (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and fresh grated black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces small sweet tomatoes sliced (I used large grape tomatoes and cut them lengthwise into thirds)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 basil leaves sliced thinly (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced thin or shredded
- 1 Â½ ounces goat cheese or feta (I used shaved Parmigiano Reggiano)
- PIZZA DOUGH DIRECTIONS: You can use the dough setting on your bread machine to save time; if so, follow machine instructions on adding ingredients in order. Otherwise....
- Mix 1 cup of flour with sugar, salt and yeast in medium mixing bowl. Stir in olive oil and water and beat well. Add enough of remaining flour to form into a ball of dough that can be handled, and turn out on lightly floured bread board. Knead until smooth adding only enough additional flour if needed to keep it from sticking.
- Put dough in an oiled bowl, turn it once to coat the top, cover with a clean towel and allow to double in size, about 40-60 minutes. Punch dough down, cover and allow to rest 10 minutes
- Place dough on lightly floured bread board. Flatten dough into a disk, pushing it outward with your palm. Working from middle, push dough out until itâs a 10" circle about 1/4 inch thick. Or use a rolling pin to flatten into shape, then push up sides to make a slight rim.
- Dust peel or pan with fine corn meal or flour (spraying my pan lightly works best for me.) Set the dough on top and pat to correct shape. Cover with towel and let it rest 10-15 minutes while you prepare toppings.
- PIZZA TOPPING DIRECTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Saute zucchini in 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet over medium heat until almost tender and beginning to color, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange zucchini and mozzarella evenly over the dough.
- Toss tomatoes lightly with 1 teaspoon olive oil, garlic, some black pepper and half the basil; then divide evenly on pizza over zucchini.
- Bake 5-8 minutes; add the goat or feta cheese and bake 3-4 additional minutes until bottom crust is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven, drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining basil leaves. Cool slightly on wire rack.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 509g|
|Recipe makes 2 servings|
|Calories from Fat 257||39%|
|Total Fat 28.97g||36%|
|Saturated Fat 10.0g||40%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 73.84g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.9g||20%|