This is a healthier version of your traditional apple pie...but just as delicious!
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40-45 minutes
Cost per serving $0.53 view details
- 2 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk
- 6 cups diced apples (peeled and cored)
- 1/2 cup sucanat
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 450Â°F. Spray pie dish with olive oil cooking spray and dust lightly with flour.
- To make crust, combine flour, salt and cinnamon. Combine oil and milk and pour over flour. Stir first with wooden spoon, then knead with hands until well combined. If too dry, add a little more milk.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out first half between two sheets of parchment paper until large enough to cover bottom and sides of pie dish. Line pie dish with crust and smooth out so it has no wrinkles on sides.
- Roll out second half of dough until large enough to cover pie. Set aside.
- Mix apples with sucanant, cinnamon, and flour until combined. Pour into pie crust. Dot with tiny pieces of butter.
- Cover with top crust and trim edges with sharp paring knife. Press the two crusts together with a fork all the way around.
- Optional: If desired, brush top of pie with soy milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Add a strip of tin foil around the edge of the pie. Place pie on cookie sheet.
- Place on lowest rack into preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Then turn down to 350Â°F and bake an additional 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 168g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 137||41%|
|Total Fat 15.56g||19%|
|Saturated Fat 1.56g||6%|
|Trans Fat 0.06g|
|Total Carbs 46.29g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.2g||27%|