This is a print preview of "Whole Grain Fig & Rum Squares" recipe.
Whole Grain Fig & Rum Squares Recipe
My husband loves fig newtons and I do too, but I'm allergic to wheat. I use whole spelt flour instead of wheat in this yummy, healthy treat.
|Prep time: 20 minutes
|Cook time: 35 minutes
||Servings: 18 squares
Wine and Drink Pairings:
Late Harvest Zinfandel, coffee
2 cups whole spelt flour
1 cup unsalted butter, chilled
1 cup sucanat (organic sugar), divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons spiced rum
1 pint fresh figs, stems removed
1/4 cup apple juice
1/8 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Blend flour, butter, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in food processor until blended into coarse dough.
- Add 1 tablespoon rum, blend until formed into moist dough. Set aside 1 cup of dough for topping.
- Press remaining dough into 11" x 7" pan.
- In processor (do not clean), blend figs, juices, nutmeg, 1/2 cup sugar, and 3 tablespoons rum to coarse paste.
- Carefully spread filling over dough in pan.
- Drop reserved dough in small pats over filling.
- Bake until lightly brown, about 35 minutes.
- Cool in pan, then cut into squares and serve.