Everyone knows how good greens are for us. But every now and then we like to take a different approach...go a little less colorful just for a dish or two! This simple salad, the white salad, still has plenty of flavor and nutrition.
- 1 cup uncooked barley (yields about 3 cups cooked)
- 2 cups of white asparagus, cleaned, blanched, cut
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium white mushrooms, cut into slivers
- 1 small Daikon radish, finely chopped
- 1/2 can (4 oz.) water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of avocado or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Prepare the barley per the package directions and refrigerate overnight pr at least for several hours.
- Once the barley is chilled place it in a large bowl.
- Add the asparagus, to a pan of boiling water and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Then immediately immerse it in ice water. Cut into 1/2 pieces. Add to the barley.
- Chop the onion, radish and water chestnuts and add to the barley.
- Sliver the mushrooms by holding them tightly and slicing in one direction, then slicing again in the opposite direction. Add to the barley.
- Add the garbanzo beans.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a small bowl. Add the salt and white pepper and whisk until it dissolves. Add the oil, whisk to mix and pour over the barley mix. Stir thoroughly to coat.
- Serve chilled.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 163g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 42||18%|
|Total Fat 4.78g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 0.93g||4%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 40.69g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 8.2g||27%|