Cost per serving $1.41 view details
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- Â¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 pound escarole, chopped
- Â½ cup white wine
- Freshly squeezed juice of one lemon
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2, 15.5 oz cans cannellini beans
- 4 oz/ 1 cup Spanish chorizo sausage (cured smoked pork sausage), remove casing, slice sausage in half length-wise and cut into half- moon shapes.
- Leaves stripped from 2 sprigs of thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- About Â½ loaf Italian, French, or other crusty-type bread, sliced and cut into Â½ inch cubes.
- Â½ cup (or more as needed) grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, plus extra peeled with a vegetable peeler in strips to garnish top of soup (optional).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; add onions and cook until translucent. Next, add tomato, garlic, and red pepper flakes and sautÃ© until the garlic becomes fragrant--about a minute. Add escarole and cook for about 2 minutes until wilted. Add white wine. After the wine comes to a boil, add lemon juice, chicken stock, beans, and chorizo; bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add thyme leaves and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook for 20-30 minutes, allowing liquid to slightly reduce.
- Put bread cubes onto a sheet tray and toast in the oven. Keep a watchful eye. When the bread is midway to being completely toasted, remove from the oven and sprinkle each cube with grated Parmigiano cheese. Return back to oven and finish until the bread is golden and crispy, and the cheese is melted.
- To serve, ladle warm soup into bowls and garnish with croutons and Parmigiano Reggiano strips.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 431g|
|Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 32||15%|
|Total Fat 3.56g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 0.62g||2%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 30.72g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 10.6g||35%|