A creamy risotto with white asparagus, gouda cheese and thin slices of crisp country ham.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Cost per serving $3.88 view details
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 6 ounces country ham, thinly shaved
- 5 1/4 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 pound white asparagus, trimmed and cut into one inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded and divided
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted cornbread crumbs
- 4 cilantro sprigs
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium skillet and cook ham over medium heat until crispy on both sides.
- Remove to paper towels to drain, then set aside.
- Bring vegetable stock to a boil in a large saucepan and blanch asparagus for 2 minutes.
- Remove asparagus from stock and shock in ice water until chilled, then drain thoroughly.
- Reduce stock to low heat and keep hot.
- Meanwhile, add oil and shallots to a large skillet and saute three minutes over medium heat.
- Add rice and stir until lightly golden, 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup stock and allow to cook until liquid evaporates. Continue stirring rice and adding stock, one cup at a time, for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add cream, any remaining stock and pepper. Continue to cook and stir constantly until mixture is tender and creamy, but slightly firm in the center.
- Remove saucepan from heat, stir in asparagus, butter and 1/2 cup gouda cheese.
- Spoon risotto on individual serving plates followed with reserved cheese and crispy ham.
- Sprinkle cornbread crumbs over top and garnish with cilantro sprig.
Add the recipe to which day?
Adding to Planner
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 690g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 844||67%|
|Total Fat 95.46g||119%|
|Saturated Fat 22.43g||90%|
|Trans Fat 1.41g|
|Total Carbs 75.24g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.2g||14%|