Thie Walnut Pie "Winter Fairy Tale" is the most fragrant and irresistible winter fairy tale, served with strong coffee hot milk or :) just as a dessert...
- For the Dough:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- Â½ tsp salt
- 1 even teaspoon baking powder
- 150 g cold butter, sliced
- Â¾ cup sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg yolk
- Â½ teaspoon Rum extract
- Â¼ cup cold water (plus extra if needed)
- For the Filling:
- 1 Â½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 Â½ cup sugar
- Â¼ cup cold water
- Â½ cup low-fat cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- For the Icing:
- 2-3 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1 cup sweetened whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 360 F (180 C)
- In a bowl mix flour, salt and baking powder. Add cold butter, cut diced and mix well (in a processor, blender or rub through fingers) until the mixture turns "on crumbs."
- Add sugar, egg yolk, 1-2 tablespoons honey and rum essence and mix again.
- Knead dough roughly by adding a tablespoon of water.
- Cut a small ball of dough for decoration. Wrap both balls of dough with wrapping foil and leave to rest in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile prepare the walnut filling. Caramelize sugar and water until golden brown, remove from heat and add the butter and walnuts. Mix well and get back to heat. Add cream, rum and honey and stir and let homogenize. Remove and leave cool well.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll it using a rolling pin or stretch with hands into the pre-greased pie form, covering the walls of the form also. Punch the dough with a fork and get it back to the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roll a thin crust using the small dough ball (about 0.5 cm thick) and cut several stars, Christmas trees, a moon :) or whatever figures we like for the icing ...
- Bake pie crust and a cookie for decoration in a preheated to 360 F (180 C) oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove crust and let cool well before removing from the pan.
- Sprinkle cookies with castor sugar.
- After walnut filling gets cool well, spread evenly over pie crust.
- Whip with a mixer at maximum speed the sweetened whipping cream for about 3-4 minutes or until soft picks form.
- Add gradually, on medium or low speed, sour cream, orange and lemon zest and orange and lemon juice.
- Decorate the pie with cookies and some whipped cream.
- Sprinkle the pie slightly with castor sugar to get snowing effect.
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 191g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 272||40%|
|Total Fat 31.3g||39%|
|Saturated Fat 16.06g||64%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 93.49g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.6g||5%|