The first time I had Viva La Chicken, was when my dear friend Nelene brought this when my Grandpa George passed away. Being a native Californian, I love Mexican food. It's one of my comfort foods. Amazing how food can comfort us when we miss a cherished one who has left us just temporarily here on earth. After eating Viva La Chicken, I had to have this recipe! Nelene being her gracious self shared it with me. Little did I know through the years I would make this same dish to comfort others in their time of need. It's one of my many Cherished recipes, even more now that Nelene, who was my Matron of Honor in our wedding received her crown of glory after a battle with Breast cancer.
I experienced such joy this week with a cherished friend! She touches my heart, soul and spirit. In that profound moment of conversation she leaves me wanting to be back in her presence for more. Cherish those friends God gives, and making and eating Viva La Chicken.
- 4 whole Chicken Breasts or cook ahead
- 1 dozen corn tortillas
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 onion, grated
- 1-1/2 cans of Green Chile Salsa
- 1 lb. Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoonful or 2 of chicken stock/ broth/water
- Wrap chicken breasts in foil and bake at 400 degrees for an hour or until tender.
- Bone chicken and cut into large pieces.
- Cut tortillas into 1-inch strips or squares.
- Mix soups,milk, onion and salsa.
- Grease a large shallow baking dish.
- Place a tablespoonful or two of chicken stock or broth or water in bottom of baking dish.
- Place a layer of tortillas in baking dish, then chicken, then soup mixture.
- Continue layers until all ingredients are used, ending with soup mixture.
- Top with cheese. Let stand in refrigerator 24 hours to allow flavors to blend.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1-1/2 hours.
- Makes 8 GENEROUS servings
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 281g|
|Recipe makes 8 servings|
|Calories from Fat 280||54%|
|Total Fat 31.69g||40%|
|Saturated Fat 15.68g||63%|
|Trans Fat 0.08g|
|Total Carbs 24.61g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.5g||8%|