Out of all the family tradition recipes I love, Vidalia Onion Pie would be the recipe I love the most. For whatever reason, this recipe has stuck with me since I first made this for my husband after we had just met. It was part of the first meal I ever cooked for him, it was the last thing he ate before being deployed, and the very first thing I made when we moved into our first house after we got married. Even though this is a southern dish (originated from Georgia), Videlia pie is not as widely known as other unique southern dishes. So for those of you who are new to this amazing dish, this is pretty much like a quiche.
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 large thinly sliced Vidalia onion
- 3 tbls of all purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of greated Swiss cheese
- 1/4 Parmesan cheese
- 1 deep dish unbaked pie shell
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry bacon and saute' the onions in the bacon grease.
- In a mixing bowl, crumble the bacon and mix with the saute'ed onions and the remaining ingredience
- Sprinkle extra cheeses on the bottom of the pie shell
- Pour mixture into pie shell evenly over the cheeses
- Bake for one hour until firm in the middle
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Serving Size 234g|
|Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 419||67%|
|Total Fat 46.54g||58%|
|Saturated Fat 15.1g||60%|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbs 36.45g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 1.2g||4%|